Friday, March 26, 2010

26 Happy Years

26 years ago today I met the love of my life. He's the best thing that ever happened to me. I thank GOD every morning that he is in my life.

It was a Monday morning. I was working afternoons so I was home that morning. I was sitting on the floor going through some stuff when I had this thought. "I don't want to spend the rest of my life alone." I had this really strange feeling that I should look in the phone book. This was 1984, before the internet. I tried to shake it off. It just kept coming back to me. So at about 10:00 a.m.I picked up the Yellow Pages of the phone book. I looked under matchmakers. I looked at the Matchmakers listing.

I called and asked, "What kind of wierdos you got down there?"
Mike, who owned and opperated Matchmakers answered, "You wouldn't buy a pair of shoes without seeing them. Come on down and take a look at who we have."

So I made an appointment for about 11:00 a.m.

I drove up to Matchmakers and walked in. Mike was very nice. I looked at a couple of the books that Mike showed me. He said to pick 4-5 guys that I would like to meet. So I did.

Mike looked over my choices and asked, "What about Russell? I think you'd like him."

"Well, he's younger than me, but Hey! I'll try anything once." I replied.

So we agreed that I should add Russell to my list. And I paid the fee and went home.

At 3:30 p.m. that phone rang. It was Russell. We talked for a bit and then agreed to meet at my place at 7:00 p.m. I explained that I didn't have a sitter for Chris, my 7 year old daughter. He said that would be no problem, we could take her with us.

He drove into my driveway at 7:00 p.m. He almost pulled out again, because Chris was standing on the back of the couch holding the drapes open wide and yelling, "He's here, he's here."

Meeting Chris can be daunting. She's a redhead with green/blue eyes and mischief all over her.

Anyway, we went for ice cream and talked. We talked all evening. I felt like I had known him forever. I was so comfortable with him.

He was still at my home at midnight. I had Monday's and Tuesdays off in those days.

That was Monday, March 26, 1984. He moved in on Friday, 5 days later. We never talked about living together, it just felt so right. We have been together ever since.

We had a daughter, Rachel, November 3, 1985. He's 3 kids moved in with us in June of 1990. We got married April 8, 1991.

We have had our bumps, but mostly happy for the past 26 years. He spoils me rotton.

We now have 6 kids, 19 grandchildren with another one due in July. I love him more every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment